5.13.2008

pivotal


recently, the ambiance of a spring night accompanied by a bottle of yellowtail shiraz led to reminiscing about senior project ('o4) with eric (sister's man). we trodded though senior project together, as it was primarily an exercise in bitter-sweet self-discovery. at the time, the critiques were uneventful and usually resulted in frustration on behalf of both the students and professors. i was pushing myself to throw larger forms; moving away from making bottle-necked vases and towards making large wall platters. i was determined to express myself with the balance i juggled between the glaze palette i developed and the from i created. earthtones and a matte surface on a large, yet delicate frame. i remember that even though this was the year of a great personal struggle as my sister died, it was also the year of my greatest accomplishments thus far with clay and self-expression. these platters were formed by hands weighed down by a great deal of grief. they are very symbolic and sentimental to me because of this.

2 comments:

  1. this post is so beautifully written. and the pieces are lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my lovely friendship your expression is so honest and this is why I love you soooo

    ReplyDelete