Step 1: I glazed the entire surface of one bowl red and the other bowl yellow. The areas covered by latex were protected from the glaze application. I removed latex from half of the leaf on both bowls. Because I am using a different color for each half of the leaf, I removed only half to protect the other half of the leaf from the first color of glaze. Get it?
Step 2: I used a turquoise glaze (appears white prior to firing) on the surface of both bowls where the latex was removed.
Step 3: I then removed the latex on the other half of the leaf of both bowls.
Step 4: Finally, I glazed the rest of the leaf with yellow on one bowl and red on the other bowl.
The kiln is cooling as I type (still at 800 degrees) and I thought I'd take a moment to share the actual process that I went though with the rubber latex for this Leaf Motif glazing. To sum it up, it was much more time consuming than I had imagined and I will use a different method next time. I keep having visions of opening the kiln and seeing the turquoise glaze bubbled on the surface of the form. I fear this because brushing it on in such a small controlled space required smaller and choppier brush strokes, possibly leading to uneven application and thickness that makes the turquoise bubble. But, it isn't worth the worry and I will just wait to see what happened!