4.15.2009

Partial~

Alongside the artwork I am preparing for the Art 4 Sale show I have been filling in the empty space of the kiln with smaller works of the botanical silhouette nature. These pieces will come in handy when Barr Street Market rolls around this summer and I need wares to plump up my display.

Pictured above is the latest addition to my glaze collection that I've been experimenting with and deem it to be my new favorite. It has a smooth finish, matte yet reflective surface, and reminds me of wood grain. As I am fairly fond of simplistic, minimal, organic, and natural work, this is a great supplement to my glaze palette and will become a trusty tool in my work. I still hold on the to dream of someday hand making my clay and glazes, but I just don't have the capacity to do so right now and I am grateful that there are so many beautiful glazes being manufactured for potters like me to use.

While unloading a glaze firing this morning, I cringed slightly and came to the understanding that the pieces I've been focusing the most on for the show are, so far, my least favorite. O man! I couldn't bring myself to "look them in the eye", if that makes sense. I set them aside and picked them back up later with hopes to reconsider. I love the forms, but not the glaze combinations. I think this is a sign for me to just go with the flow in my work and keep a laid back approach. It is weird, but I am sensing that the work really captures and expresses/exposes the energy that goes into it, be it bad or good, etc. Luckily, there are a lot of wares that I am partial to and I have the kiln loaded up for another firing of works. I will keep my fingers crossed and look on the bright side.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Sarahjane...we will whip together a "berry bowl" together soon!!!

    ReplyDelete