12.15.2014

Repose-


I have all but abandoned my blog; a sweet little nook carved out in life for me to transfer my thoughts and share my work with you. Honestly, I don't feel like I have the time to sit and really compose myself anymore. I am sure that we all feel this way about time and we decide to put our energies into what is calling us at the time. Mind dulling activities in the evenings after long days of parenting have been calling me. I am prepped for hibernation and actually am wishing for snow. The studio is clean and mopped and organized; ready for some down time. I have two final special orders in the kiln right now. I am done creating for this year and I am glad. I am truly thankful for the year of pottery that lies behind me. I am thankful for the new connections that have been made, new relationships, new work, growth and I will let these accomplishments sink in and honor them. I am in a transition phase of my working process. This used to scare me when it happened, but now I know that it is important that it happens in order for my work to grow, and for me to grow. What do I want for myself? For my work? For my family? What works for us? Do I want to be doing art fairs anymore? To what capacity? I am a mom that is "at home" with her two children, this is my "job"; the job that I always dreamed and wished and hoped that I would get to do someday. So, I have VERY little time for studio time and I struggle with feeling like I am not "working" or "producing" enough, that I should be working harder in my tiny amount of free time. It is all just a little battle I play with myself, frequently, like a go to or default mode that I tend to stir up when I am insecure. I will change this. I have things that I do want to be doing with my time in the new year, namely yoga. I have lost this ingredient in what balances me and my work. I look forward to this. Anywho! Happy New Year to you. I leave you with this excerpt from "Our Life Is a Work of Art" by Thich Nhat Hanh:

"If we just act with awareness and integrity, our art will flower, and we don't have to talk about it at all. When we know how to be peace, we find that art is a wonderful way to share our peacefulness. Artistic expression will take place in one way or another, but the being is essential. So we must go back to ourselves, and when we have joy and peace in ourselves, our creations of art will be quite natural, and they will serve the world in a positive way."

No comments:

Post a Comment